If you have Trichotillomania going to the hairdressers can be one of the most anxious and upsetting experiences. You’re probably used to hair dressers questioning about how this bald patch appeared, why is your hair snapped off to certain lengths around your head and why on earth do you have so many split ends. Although usually you can say to someone to mind their own business, it’s incredibly difficult to tell a hairdresser that. After all, it is their job to help you care for your hair in the best ways possible.
As someone who suffers from Trichotillomania myself, I thought I’d put out my top tips for when you go to the hairdressers. I personally find it terrifying going, but after I’ve done these top tips and left the place, I feel a whole lot better and most of all… PROUD!
- Let your hairdresser know first and foremost. When I sit down in the chair it is the first thing I mention to them. Sadly, not many hairdressers know what Trichotillomania is, so it’s the perfect time to educate them. This also means they should be more sensitive to the questions they ask you re: your hair.
- If you feel like you can’t do the above, get in contact with the salon before. Give them a quick call or if they have an email, do either to let them know. Although hairdressers should be more sensitive towards trichotillomania, they probably don’t know it exists.
- Tell them as much as you feel comfortable about trichotillomania. What you tell them, could possibly be passed on to other employees around the work place, that can make someone who doesn’t know they have Trichotillomania have an easier hairdressing experience.
- I always personally leave my hair and don’t wash it for a few days before. So when I get there, I ask for a wash and the hairdresser puts on all the treatments they think would benefit my hair. I always leave with swishy swashy hair.
- BREAK THE STIGMA. SHOUT IT OUT. Let’s raise awareness for Trichotillomania.
If you have trichotillomania and are planning to head out soon to get your hair done, please try these top tips. If you do, please let us know.
You can TOTALLY do it!
Until next time,
Have a great week xx